Snack crackers are a kids favorite. These cheez-Itz style cracker will be a great lunchbox treat
- 3/4 Cup Bob’s Red Mill All-Purpose Gluten-Free Flour
- 1/2 Teaspoon Xanthan Gum
- 1 Cup Cheddar Cheese shredded, or non-dairy alternative
- 3 Tablespoons Butter or non-dairy alternative
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Ice Water
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a mixing bowl, beat butter and cheese together until blended nicely with a hand mixer. Combine flour, xanthan gum, and salt in a separate bowl until fully mixed together.
- Add ½ of the flour mixture into butter/cheese until blended. Add remaining ½ and mix well.
- Add ice water and stir, making sure all scraps on the sides of the bowl have been incorporated.
- Place ball of dough on a piece of parchment paper and lightly knead until a smooth ball is made.
- Divide dough in half and place half into a bowl and put in the fridge. Roll out other half with a rolling pin between two pieces of parchment paper. Roll thin (about ⅛” or so).
- With a pastry cutter, pattern out the shapes of the squares, going horizontally and diagonally.
- Make a little hole in the center of each cracker.
- Brush a light coat of olive oil and sprinkle the tops with a little dash of coarse salt.
- Transfer the parchment paper to a baking sheet and place in the freezer for 10 minutes while you repeat the same process for the other half.
- Bake for 17-20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Allow to cool completely on the baking sheet.
- Store in an air-tight container.