A delicious old fashion apple fall dessert!
This recipe is: Egg-Free, Gluten-Free, Nut-Free, Soy-Free
Total Time: 2 hours
Prep Time: 20 mins
For the Pie Crust
- 1¼ cups gluten-free all-purpose flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1 stick butter, chilled and cut into cubes
- 4 to 6 tablespoons ice water
For the Filling
- 1 pound apples (a mix of granny smith and a sweet apple is best), sliced
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons apple juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- Water, for brushing
- Sugar, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Make the pie crust by combining gluten-free all-purpose flour, salt and butter in a food processor. Pulse a few times until small, pea-sized chunks of butter remain. Add water in, one tablespoon at a time, until dough resembles large curds. Turn out onto plastic wrap and form into disc. Chill for 1 hour.
- Once chilled, roll dough into a large rectangle and cut out medium-sized rectangles of dough (2×3 inches).
- In an 8×8-inch pan, combine sliced apples, brown sugar, apple juice, lemon juice, cinnamon and all spice. Gently toss together with a spoon.
- Place dough pieces randomly over the top of apple filling to cover. Brush dough with water and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 30 minutes then remove from oven and gently push dough down slightly into liquid. Return to oven and bake for another 10 to 20 minutes until crust is flaky and mixture is bubbly.
Leave a Reply