Just like Grandma’s apple pie but new and improved because now it’s gluten-free. Your non-gluten-free friends will not be able to tell the difference.
This recipe is: Gluten-Free, Nut-Free, Soy-Free, Vegetarian
Total Time: 30-45 mins
Prep Time: 20 mins
- 2 cups gluten-free baking mix (we used Pamela’s Products Baking & Pancake Mix)
- 2 cups gluten-free quick cook oats (we used Bob’s Red Mill)
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 cup butter, cold
- 10-12 tablespoons cold water
- 4-5 cups sliced apples, approximately 3-4 apples
- ½ cup butter
- 1¼ cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoon gluten-free baking mix (we used Pamela’s Products Baking & Pancake Mix)
- 1 egg white
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- To make the crust, place gluten-free baking mix, oats, and sugar into a bowl; use a pastry cutter to cut in butter until there are pea-sized pieces of dough. You can also use a standing mixer.
- Slowly add water, blending in with fork until dough holds together.
- Press half the dough into a greased 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Reserve remaining dough for the topping.
- To make the filling place sliced apples on top of bottom crust. Cut ½ cup butter into small pieces and spread evenly across apple slices.
- In a mixing bowl, combine sugar, cinnamon, and baking mix and sprinkle over apples.
- Cover with remaining crust dough by crumbling the dough on top and gently pressing it down into the apples.
- Brush the top of the bars with lightly beaten egg white and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until golden brown. Serve either piping hot out of the oven with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, or chill and serve with a slice of white cheddar cheese.
These sound so good. I have an egg allergy, is these something else I could brush the top with or just leave it off?