Our test kitchen team took the basic recipe and adapted it to be lower in calories and then suggested some creative variations with unique flavors. To make the recipes dairy-free, replace the milk with almond milk, soy milk or coconut milk, and replace the butter with Earth Balance Buttery Spread or Smart Balance Buttery Spread.
Total Time:?1 hour 10 mins
Prep Time:?10 mins
For the French Toast
- 16 ounces gluten-free bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
For the Topping
- 1 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour
- ? cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ? teaspoon nutmeg
- ? cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- Maple syrup, optional for garnish
- Powdered sugar, optional for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F if you are planning to make and bake the French toast immediately.
- Grease a 9×13-inch glass baking dish with butter or nonstick spray. Layer the chopped bread pieces evenly across the bottom of the pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, whole milk, skim milk, sugar, vanilla extract and cinnamon.. Pour this mixture evenly over the top of the bread in the baking dish.
- If you are making the French toast to be baked later, cover the dish tightly with plastic wrap and let it sit in the refrigerator overnight. If baking immediately, proceed to step 6.
- If you premade the French toast and are now ready to bake it, remove it from the refrigerator and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- To make the crumble topping, in a small mixing bowl, whisk together the gluten-free all-purpose flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg until evenly distributed.
- Using a fork, mash the softened butter in the mixture until small crumbles form. Sprinkle the crumb topping evenly over the top of the French toast.
- Bake for 1 hour until the French toast is firmly set and golden brown. Remove from oven and serve hot. Garnish with maple syrup or powdered sugar, if desired.