Don’t knock it until you try it…. The bittersweet chocolate, coupled with a kick of espresso and Bard’s Beer, adds new depth to a great vegetarian chili. Chef’s secret: Make this chili the day before needed and refrigerate overnight. This allows all of the flavors to meld together nicely. Reheat before serving. Recipe Compliments of Robert Landolphi, “The Gluten Free Chef”: Rob is the author of Gluten Free Everyday Cookbook (April 2009) and Quick Fix Gluten Free (August 2011) (both available at www.glutenfreechefrob.com). Chef Rob always cooks with Bard’s Gold, a gluten-free beer brewed by Bard’s. Bard’s Beer: learn more and where to buy at www.bardsbeer.com
Total Time: 1 hour
Prep Time: 20 mins
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 (15-ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (12 ounce) Bard’s Gold (gluten-free beer)
- 1/4 cup brewed espresso or strong coffee
- ½ cup water
- 1½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- 1 oz bittersweet chocolate
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- Heat oil in large pot over medium high heat. Add onions and sauté until tender.
- Stir in chili powder, cumin, and oregano. Cook for 1 minute and then add tomatoes, honey and garlic. Decrease heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 30 minutes.
- Add black beans, Bard’s Beer, espresso, water, salt, chipotle chili powder, and cinnamon. Bring to a boil over medium high heat, decrease heat to a simmer, and stir in chocolate and cilantro.
- Simmer uncovered for 30 minutes stirring occasionally until thickened.