This dish has a little bit of everything ? sausage, vegetables, apples and beans – a complete one pot meal, but fresh vegetables or fruit are always a great addition.
This recipe is:?Corn-Free, Dairy Free, Egg-Free, Gluten-Free, Nut-Free, Rice-Free, Soy-Free
Total Time:?1 hour
Prep Time:?30 mins
Prepare the Night Before:
- 3 cups peeled, seeded and chopped butternut squash
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- ? cup chopped celery
- ? cup chopped carrots
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh sage
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 links sweet Italian chicken sausage
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and chopped
- ? teaspoon salt
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 (15 ounce can) white beans, rinsed and drained
- The Night Before: In a large bowl, mix together the butternut squash, onions, celery, carrots, sage, garlic, rosemary, thyme and bay leaf. Cover the bowl with a lid or plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to cook the full meal.
- To Cook the Meal:, Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add in the sausage, cover, and cook for a total of 6 minutes, flipping sausage over 3 minutes in to brown the other side. Remove the sausage from the pan and let cool on a plate.
- To the same pot that the sausage was cooked in, add the chopped apple and the bowl of prepared ingredients from the refrigerator. Sprinkle the mixture with the salt, and saut? for 5 to 7 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Pour the chicken stock and beans into the pot, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- While the stew is simmering, slice the sausage into 1-inch coins. Add the sliced sausage back into the pot and cook an additional 5 minutes until sausage is thoroughly cooked.
- Remove the bay leaf before serving.
Leave a Reply