Delight Gluten-Free Magazine challenges you to kick your summer grilling up a notch this Fourth of July by putting a new spin on a summer classic—the hamburger.
Total Time: 1 hour 30 mins
Prep Time: 1 hour
- 1½ pounds ground bison
- 2 large onions, sliced thinly
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ¼ cup water
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 4 gluten-free hamburger rolls
- ½ cup crumbled bleu cheese
- Place onion, sugar, and olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, stirring often for 20 to 25 minutes, or until onions are fragrant and light brown in color.
- Stir in water, vinegar, and salt. Turn temperature down to low and allow the onions mixture to simmer until thick.
- Preheat a gas or charcoal grill to 475 to 500 degrees F.
- Divide ground bison up into 4 patties, about an inch thick and 4 inches in diameter. Sprinkle each patty with salt and pepper and place on a non-stick surface. Cover with plastic wrap and allow at least one hour in the refrigerator to set. (Optional)
- Place patties on a pre-heated grill and cook for 4 minutes.
- Flip patties over and cook another 4 or 5 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 160.
- Remove from grill and let rest for 5 minutes. Assemble burger, incorporating bleu cheese, onions, and toasted hamburger rolls.