Looking for an easy grilling recipe for barbecue parties, tailgating or camping? Grilled Cheesy Sausage Pineapple Skewers are just the ticket. A cinch to put together, easily portable, cook in about 5 minutes and flavors can’t be beat; salty, sweet, cheesy and smoky too!
- ½ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh Oregano
- 1 12- 16 ounce package Mild Italian Sausage with Mozzarella and Parmesan Cheese (4-6 fully cooked sausages); sliced into 1-inch pieces (about 5 pieces per sausage)
- 1 ripe Pineapple
- 1 large Red Onion
- Disposable Condiment/Snack cups
- 1 bottle Barbecue Sauce
- Bamboo Skewers
- Combine the olive oil and oregano in a sealable jar. Allow to sit for an hour before grilling or longer.
- Fill the disposable condiment containers with barbecue sauce for dipping.
- Slice off the top/leaves and very bottom off the pineapple. Slice the pineapple into 6 equal wedges (vertically); remove the outer peel, the inner core and cut the wedges into ½ inch slices.
- Slice off each end of the onion (root and stem). Peel, cut in half vertically; cut each half into thirds (vertically) making 6 wedges. Cut each wedge in half horizontally.
- To thread the skewers: slide on 1 piece of sausage, 2 pieces of onion separated from one of the small wedges, pineapple piece. Repeat and end with a piece of sausage.
- Heat the grill to medium heat (350 degrees). Brush and oil the grill. Lightly brush the skewers with the oregano-infused olive oil. Place some of the skewers on the grill with a piece of foil underneath the exposed skewers on the grill. Ensure none of the bamboo is exposed to the grill.
- Using tongs rotate the skewers to ensure all sides are grilled. Remove when the onions are cooked; approximately 5 minutes. Serve with individual barbecue sauce containers.