Try this cherry-packed breakfast bake by itself or topped with almond milk for a hot cereal feel. It will keep refrigerated up to 5 days.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 3/4 cup coconut water
- 1/3 cup unsweetened almondmilk
- 1/2 cup pitted dates
- 1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds, divided
- 2/3 cup almond meal
- 1 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3 cups (about 1 pound) fresh cherries, pitted, divided
- Rinse quinoa in a fine sieve until water runs clear; drain and transfer to a medium saucepan. Add coconut water and bring to a boil. Lower heat to medium-low; cover and simmer until liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Set aside off the heat for 5 minutes; uncover and fluff with a fork.
- Preheat the oven to 350?F. Line the bottom of an 8-inch-square pan with parchment paper. In a blender, combine almond milk, dates, 2/3 of the cherries and 1/4 cup of the sunflower seeds; blend until smooth.
- Pour into a large bowl and stir in almond meal, vanilla, salt and quinoa. Scrape the mixture into the prepared pan. Halve remaining cherries and scatter them over the top along with remaining 1/4 cup sunflower seeds. Bake until browned on top and set, about 1 hour.
Cool at least 30 minutes. Cut into squares. Serve warm or cold.