During these cold winter months, what could be better then coming home and enjoying a warm and hearty dinner?
Yields: 8-10 servings
Total Time: 90 mins
Prep Time: 1 hour
For the Biscuits
- 2½ cups all-purpose gluten-free flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh rosemary
- 1 egg, beaten
- ¾ cup milk
- ½ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ¾ cup cold butter (1½ sticks), cut into cubes
For the Chicken
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 4 carrots, cut into rounds
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, minced
- 2 cups butternut squash, diced
- 2 cups crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups green peas (fresh or frozen)
- 2 pounds chicken breast, cooked and shredded or diced
- 4 cups chicken stock
- ⅓ cup all-purpose gluten-free flour
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt and rosemary in a large bowl and whisk to incorporate. Set aside.
- Mix together egg, milk and vinegar in a separate bowl and set aside.
- Using fingers, cut butter into flour mixture until it is the size of small pebbles.
- Make a small well in the flour mixture and add egg mixture. Gently combine with a fork until just moistened.
- Knead together with hands and roll out on floured surface until dough is about 1 ½ inches thick. Cut out biscuits with biscuit cutter and set on baking sheet. Keep refrigerated until ready to bake.
- To make the chicken, preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Heat olive oil in a large, deep pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and carrots and sauté for about 7 minutes until softened.
- Add garlic, thyme and rosemary and sauté another 2 to 3 minutes. Add squash, mushrooms and peas to pot and stir to combine. Sauté for 10 minutes until softened.
- Add chicken and gently stir to combine. Add chicken broth and bring to boil, then reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add flour to hot liquid and whisk vigorously to thicken. Continue to whisk until flour is fully dissolved. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour filling into a 9” x 13” pan. Add biscuits from refrigerator on top.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes until biscuits are golden and filling is bubbling. Cool slightly before serving.