These enchiladas will soon become a weeknight favorite! Filled with homemade rice and topped with enchilada sauce, cheese and shredded chicken for a delightful meal.
Total Time: 1 hour
Prep Time: 10 mins
For the Rice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ sweet yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups water
- 1½ cups basmati rice
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can pink beans, drained
- ½ cup sweet corn
For the Enchiladas
- 12 corn tortillas
- 4 cups Mexican cheese blend, divided
- 3 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 1 (10 ounce) can enchilada sauce
- ¼ cup chives, finely minced
- To make the rice, heat olive oil over medium heat in a large saucepot. Add in the onion and cook until translucent, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add in the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add in the water, rice, tomato sauce, salt and pepper and stir well. Bring to a boil and mix thoroughly. Reduce heat to medium and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 to 20 minutes until most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Stir in the beans and corn. Remove from heat and set aside.
- For the enchiladas, preheat oven to 350 degrees F and spray a 9×13-inch glass-baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Fill the corn tortillas with about ¼ cup rice and 2 tablespoons of cheese in the center. Roll the tortillas up and place in the prepared baking dish. Repeat to make 12 enchiladas.
- Top the rolled tortillas with a thin layer of cheese and then evenly distribute the shredded chicken over the top of the enchiladas. Pour the enchilada sauce over the top of the casserole and add a final layer of cheese. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until cheese is bubbly. Garnish with chives and serve immediately.