Cherries work well in sweet dishes thanks to their rich and slightly tart flavor. They also are great complements to savory dishes such as meats and spicy foods.
This recipe is: Corn-Free, Egg-Free, Gluten-Free, Nut-Free, Rice-Free
Total Time: 2 hours
Prep Time: 35 mins
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- ½ cup tomato paste
- 2 cups frozen cherries, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup molasses
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne powder
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1.5 pounds bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs (4 to 6 chicken thighs)
- In a large saucepot, heat 2 tablespoons of butter over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté until translucent, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add garlic and sauté another 2 to 3 minutes until fragrant.
- Add tomato sauce, tomato paste, frozen cherries, molasses, brown sugar, orange juice, cider vinegar, chili powder and cayenne powder and stir to combine. Bring to a boil then lower heat to medium-low and let simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and puree using an immersion blender or in batches in a regular blender. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and place chicken thighs on a foil-lined baking sheet, skin side up.
- Brush both sides of chicken thighs with BBQ sauce and place in oven.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, basting every 15 minutes with additional sauce, until juices run clear and chicken is cooked through.
Leave a Reply