Cherries work well in sweet dishes thanks to their rich and slightly tart flavor. They also are great complements to savory dishes such as meats and spicy foods.
Total Time: 2 hours
Prep Time: 35 mins
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- ½ cup tomato paste
- 2 cups frozen cherries, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup molasses
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne powder
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1.5 pounds bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs (4 to 6 chicken thighs)
- In a large saucepot, heat 2 tablespoons of butter over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté until translucent, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add garlic and sauté another 2 to 3 minutes until fragrant.
- Add tomato sauce, tomato paste, frozen cherries, molasses, brown sugar, orange juice, cider vinegar, chili powder and cayenne powder and stir to combine. Bring to a boil then lower heat to medium-low and let simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and puree using an immersion blender or in batches in a regular blender. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and place chicken thighs on a foil-lined baking sheet, skin side up.
- Brush both sides of chicken thighs with BBQ sauce and place in oven.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, basting every 15 minutes with additional sauce, until juices run clear and chicken is cooked through.