Fill your autumn days with a pot of hearty soup simmering on the stove. These flavor packed gluten-free recipes will warm the body on a chilly evening. Get your ladles ready – your family will want seconds.
Total Time: 1 hour
Prep Time: 30 mins
- 3 cups sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 4 cups butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ medium onion, diced
- ½ cup pureed pumpkin
- ½ teaspoon chipotle powder (add up to 1 teaspoon if you prefer a spicier soup)
- ½ teaspoon sweet paprika powder
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 cups water or vegetable stock
- Candied cinnamon pepitas, for garnish
- Crème fraiche, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Arrange the sweet potatoes and squash on the tray and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Gently toss with fingers and spread out evenly along baking sheet. Roast for 30 to 35 minutes until tender. Set aside.
- In a large stock pot, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until translucent.
- Add squash, sweet potato and pumpkin to onion and gently stir to combine. Add chipotle chili powder, paprika and oregano and stir to coat. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add water or stock and bring up to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Puree soup using an immersion blender or blend in batches in a conventional blender. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve and garnish with pepitas and crème fraiche.