Make the cornbread a day or two prior to when you want to serve stuffing. The stuffing can be baked 24 hours in advance and warmed in oven prior to serving.
Total Time: 65 mins
Prep Time: 20 mins
- 1 package gluten-free cornbread mix (123 Gluten-Free, Bob’s Red Mill or Pamela’s Products)
- ¼ cup butter, unsalted
- 1 cup celery, diced
- ¾ cup yellow onion, non-sweet, diced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup roasted red peppers, rinse, drained and diced
- ¼ cup chives, diced
- ½ teaspoon garlic, minced
- 2 cups chicken or turkey stock, low-sodium
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Salt to taste
- 6 cups cornbread, roughly broken into 1 inch cubes
- ¼ cup butter, unsalted, melted, poured over top
- Bake gluten-free cornbread mix according to package directions. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degree F. In an oven proof skillet, like cast iron, melt ¼ cup butter over medium heat. Add celery and onions, sprinkle with salt and then sauté for 7 minutes, do not brown.
- Add roasted red peppers, chives and garlic to pan, cook another 2 minutes.
- Add chicken stock, hot sauce and black pepper to the pan, bring to simmer and cook for 2 minutes. Turn off heat.
- Add the prepared gluten-free cornbread to the pan. Combine well, flatten top a little with back of a spoon, and drizzle ¼ cup melted butter over top. Bake 30 minutes or until stuffing is set and firm. If too dry, add additional chicken or turkey stock.