The chili gives this dessert a lovely kick.
This recipe is: Corn-Free, Gluten-Free, Nut-Free, Rice-Free, Soy-Free, Vegetarian
Total Time: 1 hour 35 mins
Prep Time: 15 mins
- 2 cups bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 stick butter
- 4 cups raspberries, divided
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ⅓ cup half & half
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ¼ cup water
- 4 tablespoons orange liquor
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Melt chocolate in a double boiler until fully smooth. Once chocolate is melted, stir in the butter.
- In a blender or food processor, puree 2 cups of the raspberries, water and brown sugar until smooth.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer using a whisk attachment, combine eggs, sugar and heavy cream and mix on high speed until the mixture doubles in volume, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Reduce mixer speed and slowly add in the melted chocolate and the raspberry puree. Mix until a smooth chocolate batter forms. Pour batter into a greased 9-inch spring-form pan and bake for 85 minutes in a water bath. Remove from oven and chill for 2 hours before removing from pan. Once chilled, remove torte from pan and place on serving platter.
- To make the topping, puree 2 remaining cups of fresh raspberries with 1 tablespoon of water. Combine pureed raspberries, half & half, sugar, chili powder, ¼ cup water and orange liquor in a small saucepot. Cook over medium heat until a thick sauce forms. Chill completely and then pour over torte. Chill in the refrigerator for 30 to 60 minutes before serving.