Cilantro lime rice is packed with fresh herb and zesty flavors. A filling side dish to any Mexican meal (or Tex-Mex) especially in burritos. This will last about 3 days when refrigerated.
- 1 cup long grain rice basmati rice
- 2 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon butter optional, highly recommended
- 3 tablespoon lime juice freshly squeezed
- Zest of one lime
- 1 cup cilantro leaves finely chopped
- Place rice in fine mesh strainer or a bowl and rinse it for several times. Rinse by scrubbing rice gently with finger-tips.
- To make rice cook perfectly with separated grains. Heat up little oil (olive oil or canola oil). Saute rinsed rice in a heavy bottom sauce pan om medium heat. Keep stirring until rice begins to brown. This step will ensure rice is cooked perfectly and also every grain remains separated.
- Once rice is sauted, add liquid of your choice – water or chicken stock to pack in more flavors. For vegetarian option, use vegetable stock. For every 1 cup long grain rice, add 2 cups liquids.
- Scrape rice sticking to the side of pan into the liquid.
- Simmer flame to medium low heat and bring water to boil.
- Cook uncovered until the water level drops below the surface of the rice. Then reduce flame to low. Now cover pan with lid (when almost 90% of water is absorbeand simmer cook for about 12 minutes. DO NOT Stir rice in between. Leave it untouched.
- Once cooked remove sauce pan from heat and let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes undisturbed. Do not open the lid. This helps rice to cook through. Rice absorbs moisture from steam and makes it fluffy and perfect.
- Open lid. Add butter, lime juice, cilantro, lime zest and gently fluff it with fork or spatula. If needed add salt as per taste.