Incredible cinnamon walnut pear crisp is made with simple ingredients and topped with a delicious oat walnut crumble. This easy, classic pear crisp recipe tastes just like an old-fashioned pear crisp can easily be made vegan and gluten free for a wonderful dessert you’ll make again and again!
For the topping:
- 2/3 cup gluten free oat flour
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar (or sub coconut sugar)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (or pecans)
- 1/3 cup oats (gluten free if desired)
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter, melted (or sub vegan butter or coconut oil)
For the crisp:
- 6 medium Barlett pears, cut into 1/4th inch slices
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 tablespoon arrowroot or tapioca starch
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Generously grease an 8×8 baking pan or 9 inch skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- To make the topping: Combine the flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon and walnuts in a large bowl until well-combined. Pour in the melted butter and use your hands to combine until the mixture becomes crumbly and resembles wet sand. You may need to use your hands/fingers to form into nice crumbles. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place it in the fridge until ready to use.
- To make the filling: place pears, maple syrup, cinnamon, vanilla and arrowroot starch in a large bowl and toss to combine. Take 1/3 cup of the topping mixture and toss with the apple mixture. Place the pear mixture in a prepared pan and sprinkle evenly with the remaining topping.
- Bake the crisp on a baking sheet (just in case the filling bubbles over!) for 45 minutes-1 hour, or until topping is golden brown and filling is bubbling. Remove from the oven and cool for 10 minutes on a wire rack. Serve warm with your favorite vanilla ice cream or yogurt on top. Makes 9 servings.