I love anything curried. The exquisite flavors and aroma of curried anything bring joy to the whole household: the entire family is always gathering by the kitchen whenever a curry is on the stove.
But when you don’t fancy a whole curry, a tasty curried tofu wrap makes the perfect lunch whether you’re eating at home or need something quick and easy for an on-the-go snack.
This delicious curried tofu wrap recipe is absolutely packed full of beautifully seasoned tofu, with some crunchy walnuts and celery to offer a satisfying bite. Raisins offer a delicate sweetness that cuts perfectly through the savory curried experience.
Not only is this recipe incredibly quick and easy to whip up, but it’s also full of healthy ingredients and is 100% vegan. Your family will love this recipe as much as mine does. I promise!
Prepare your ingredients before you start cooking to make your curried tofu wraps even easier. I love my Tofubud tofu press for dramatically reducing the length of time it takes to squeeze the excess liquid out of my extra-firm tofu.
If you don’t have a tofu press, be sure to prepare your tofu ahead of time by placing it between two chopping boards and piling weights on top of it (cans of soup or heavy cooking books are great!). Leave your tofu to press for approximately 30 minutes if you’re using a DIY tofu pressing method or 15 minutes with a press.
Once your tofu is pressed, chop it into bite-sized cubes that can infuse with the marinade flavors and cook up wonderfully. These small cubes will also make it far easier to stack your tofu wraps.
Curried Tofu Wraps
- Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 10 minutes Total Time: 25 minutes Makes 4 curried tofu wraps
For the tofu:
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1lb extra-firm tofu, pressed, rinsed, and cut into cubes
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp salt
For the wraps:
- ½ cup vegan mayonnaise (from the store or make your own)
- 2 celery stalks, finely diced
- 1 tbsp red onion, finely chopped
- 1 spring onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ cup raisins
- ¼ cup walnuts
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 tbsp coconut flakes
- Salt (to taste)
- 4 tortillas
- Drain the excess liquid from your tofu by using a tofu press (15 minutes) or DIY tofu pressing method (30 minutes), then cut into small cubes.
- Once your tofu is prepared, place it in a bowl or reusable ziplock bag along with the curry powder, onion powder, garlic powder, and a pinch of salt and toss together until the tofu is thoroughly coated in the seasoning.
- Place a large skillet on medium heat and warm 1tbsp coconut oil.
- As soon as the coconut oil has melted, add the seasoned tofu cubes and fry until the cubes turn golden and crispy.
- Remove the tofu and place it in a large bowl with the vegan mayonnaise. Add the rest of the wrap ingredients (excluding the tortillas) and stir well to combine everything.
- Warm your tortilla wraps in the oven, then place them on a flat surface.
- Dollop a large spoonful of the tofu mixture into the middle of the first tortilla.
- Fold the top half of the tortilla over to meet the bottom, then fold both ends in and roll the tortillas tightly to create your wrap.
- Repeat with the remaining tortillas and fillings, then serve immediately.
These tasty curried tortilla wraps are great on their own or could be served with a generous helping of potato salad to create a yummy dinner in no time. If you like your wraps a little hotter, try slicing up some Fresno chile to add to the tortilla fillings. A squeeze of fresh lime juice and a sprinkling of coriander or cilantro can also take these wraps to the next level.
Be careful not to overfill your wraps. Although you want plenty of curried tofu mixture in each bite, an overstuffed wrap will be a nightmare to roll, and you’ll lose half the filling with every bite! Trust me, this recipe is so tasty you’re not going to want to waste a drop!
If you have leftover curried tofu, simply store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator. The mixture will keep for up to 7 days (although I’m sure you’ll want to eat it long before then!), so you can enjoy delicious curried tofu wraps any time you like… Or use the ingredients in a salad for a tasty summer treat.
Leave a Reply