Mashed potatoes and a must gave for most holiday meals. A general rule of thumb is about a half of a pound per adult.
- Bring 4 quarts water to a boil and add salt
- While water is heating peel and cut potatoes into uniform pieces
- Once boiling, add potatoes and garlic to pot
- Cook until potatoes are tender, 15-20 minutes (check with fork at 12 minutes to estimate further cooking needed)
- Set up ricer or food mill over pot used to cook, or metal or glass bowl. Press potatoes and garlic through ricer or food mill (alternately, use a hand mixer, but be careful not to overbeat), adding olive oil and chicken stock/vegetable broth as needed to produce creamy soft consistency
- Season to taste