Fakes is a traditional Greek lentil soup. This version has no added liquid for a fast side dish for fish or poultry. This dish may be served warm, room temperature or chilled.
This recipe is: Corn-Free, Gluten-Free, Nut-Free, Rice-Free
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1/4 cup dice onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 cups prepared brown lentils
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Pour olive oil into a large skillet, add bay leaf to the oil and turn burner onto medium-low heat. Cook the bay leaf for 5 minutes in the oil.
- Add the carrots and onion to the pan and saute for 7 minutes, stirring frequently.
- While the carrots and onions are cooking, whisk together the olive oil, red wine vinegar, oregano and rosemary. Set aside.
- Stir the garlic into pan with the carrots, then add lentils and cook for an additional 2 minutes and remove from heat.
- Pour olive oil and vinegar mixture over the lentils and toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove bay leaf before serving.
Leave a Reply