Cookies are comfort food. On days when I’m not feeling great, (which are pretty rare) I tend to gravitate toward food that I found comforting as a child. Cookies fall into that category. But not just any cookie will do. Comforting cookies have to be somewhat healthy with familiar flavors, like oats and dried fruit.
These Gluten Free Apple Raisin Oatmeal Cookies drizzled with Maple Pecan Glaze are ideal for a mid-morning or after-school snack.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup coconut palm sugar or brown sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cup oat flour certified gluten-free, if necessary
- 1 1/2 cup rolled oats certified gluten-free, if necessary
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup apple, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup raisins
Maple Pecan Glaze
- 6 tbsp pecans
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 tbsp coconut oil melted
- 2 tbsp water
- pinch sea salt
- Heat oven to 350°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Cream butter and sugar together with an electric mixture until fluffy. Add vanilla and egg and beat until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, combine oat flour, oats, cinnamon, baking soda and salt.
- Add to creamed mixture and beat just until combined.
- Gently stir in finely chopped apples and raisins.
- Use a quarter cup measure to scoop dough on to parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Flatten slightly and space generously.
- Bake for 12 – 15 minutes or until golden brown. Let sit on baking sheet for 3-4 minutes, then transfer to wire rack to cool.
- Mix all ingredients for Maple Pecan Glaze in a blender until very smooth. Drizzle over cookies.