This Berry Buttermilk Cake is the perfect dessert all summer long ? not just on red, white & blue holidays.
- 1 1/2?cups?AP flour or Gluten Free flour blend (we used Pamela?s GF Artisan Blend)
- 3/4?teaspoon?baking powder
- 3/4?teaspoon?baking soda
- 6?tablespoons?unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4?cup?granulated sugar, plus 1 tablespoon
- 1?large egg
- 2?teaspoons?vanilla extract
- 3?teaspoons?grated lemon zest, divided (orange is ok if you prefer)
- 1/2?cup?each raspberries and blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C). Butter a 10-inch (25 cm) pie or tart pan, or prepare with non-stick spray.
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together in a medium bowl. Combine butter and 3/4 cup sugar in a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Beat on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Mix in egg, buttermilk, vanilla and 2 teaspoons of the lemon zest on medium speed. Add the flour mixture and mix to combine without over-mixing.
- Spread batter in the prepared dish (it will be thick). Arrange berries on top of the batter, gently pressing to partially submerge. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar (if you have turbinado or raw sugar available, that works well on top of the cake).
- Bake in oven until top is light golden and a knife inserted in the cake comes clean, about 50 minutes. Cool in plate on a rack. Before serving, sprinkle remaining zest over the cake. Serve slightly warm or at room temperature. Accompany with whipped cream if desired.
Recipe created by?K.C. Cornwell;? provided by?G-Free Foodie
photo by?Katie Roletto?from our days at Love With Food.