Mexican food is a terrific choice for gluten free people because there’s only a few things you have to adjust to make it work. This Chicken Chimichanga can be easily modified using other protein sources. And if you want to use packaged shells they work as well, or try this corn tortilla recipe.
For the filling
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 2/3 cup red salsa,
- 1/3 cup chopped green onion,
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
For the tortillas
- 1 cup All-Purpose Flour (we like Bobs Red Mil)
- 1 cup Tigernut Flour
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Poach 2 large chicken breasts in water to cover. Then shred and put aside.
- In a pan combine: Shredded chicken; red salsa, chopped green onion, cumin, oregano, and
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl
- Make 6 round balls. Roll each ball out between 2 pieces of plastic wrap into 6-8″ flat discs
- Heat skillet, tortilla press or non-stick pan. Lightly oil. Place 1 tortilla at a time and cook 2-3 minutes, flip and cook for another 30 seconds. Make sure to keep tortilla flexible. Set aside in foil until all are done.
- Brush one side of tortillas with melted butter.
- Spoon about 1/2 cup of chicken mixture into the center on the UNBUTTERED side.
- Top with 2 tablespoons of grated cheese.
- Assemble like a burrito – How to get it right:
- Fold two sides over the filling.
- Fold the ends and then place seam side down in a 13 x 9 baking pan.
- Bake in preheated oven at 425-450 for 11-13 minutes or until golden brown.
- Top with your choice of toppings such as shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, sliced avocado and/or guacamole, sour cream and/or additional salsa.