To make the dough for a king cake, try using Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Pizza Crust Mix. Follow the recipe and directions for “Gluten Free Cinnamon Rolls” located on the back of the bag.
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter melted
- nuts, raisins as desired
- 2 cups confectioners sugar
- 2 tbsp butter melted
- 4 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Sprinkles: green purple and gold colored sugar
After your dough has risen (time may vary depending on the recipe), refer to the Gluten Free King Cake Construction recipe below.
- After you have made your gluten free dough and allowed it to rise, preheat the oven to 350. Also, prepare a baking sheet by covering it in parchment paper and oil.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured, parchment paper covered surface. Knead the dough until it is smooth and flexible.
- Once the dough is easy to work with, roll the dough into a long, wide rectangle using a rolling pin. You may want to cover your rolling pin in gluten free flour before using it. This will prevent the dough from sticking to the rolling pin. When you have finished rolling out the dough, set it aside.
- It is time to make the filling for your king cake! Combine all filling ingredients in a medium sized bowl and mix together. The mixture should be crumbly.
- Spread the filling across the rolled-out dough.
- Next, roll the dough into a log (jelly-roll style). Start rolling from one of the longer sides of the rectangle. You may want to use the parchment paper to help you.
- When the log has formed, pinch the seam closed and pinch each end of the log closed.
- Bend the log into a circular shape and pinch the two ends together. This creates the rounded shape of the king cake.
- Transfer the dough onto the baking sheet you previously prepared and place the baking sheet in the oven. Bake for about 40 minutes, or until the dough is golden brown. When the dough has finished cooking, remove the baking sheet from the oven and allow the dough to cool completely.
- While the dough is cooling, make the glaze. Combine all ingredients together in a medium sized bowl and blend using a high speed mixer or whisk. Mix until the glaze has no clumps.
- Once the dough has cooled completely, transfer the cake to a plate or serving dish. Cover the cake with the glaze and allow it to drip down the sides of the cake.
- Finally, decorate the cake with the colored sugar in alternating bands. Serve immediately or store in a cool area until the Mardi Gras party begins!