Party Potatoes Deluxe – will soon become a staple on your holiday table. Scrape the 19-ingredient, gluten-filled canned cream of chicken soup (which, who wants to be eating anyway?!) make your own in under 10 minutes, and in two shakes you’ve got Gluten-Free Party Potatoes Deluxe!
- 1 cup butter, divided
- 1 cup (8oz) sour cream
- 2 lbs country-style (diced) frozen hash browns, thawed
- 8 oz shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup green onion, chopped
- 2 cups crushed gluten-free corn flakes
For the Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup
- 1-1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon chopped shallot
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Tablespoons gluten-free or all-purpose flour (dish will not be GF if using AP flour)
- 3/4 cups gluten-free chicken broth
- 1/2 cup milk (any kind)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- For the Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup: add extra virgin olive oil to a small saucepan over medium heat then add shallots and saute until softened, 2-3 minutes. Add butter then, once melted, sprinkle in flour and whisk to combine. Cook while whisking for 30 seconds then slowly add splashes of chicken broth while whisking to avoid lumps until a smooth sauce has been formed. Add milk and seasonings then turn heat up to medium-high and bring soup to a bubble while stirring constantly. Turn heat back down to medium then cook while stirring until soup is fairly thick, 3-4 minutes. Remove saucepan from heat then set aside to cool slightly. Can be done ahead of time.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees then add half the butter to a 9×13″ baking dish and place in oven to melt while the oven heats up. Stir together sour cream and condensed soup in a very large bowl then fold in hash browns, cheddar cheese, and green onions. Scoop mixture on top of the melted butter in the baking dish then spread into an even layer. Bake uncovered for 35 minutes.
- Melt remaining butter in a microwave-safe dish then pour over crushed cornflakes and stir to coat. Sprinkle on top of the potatoes then bake until golden brown and crunchy, 15-20 more minutes, and then serve.