Our updated cornbread is rich and moist and gets a flavor boost from fluffy whipped goat cheese topped with a sprinkling of jalapeño. Serve wedges of it as part of a big holiday meal, or try it alongside a soup, stew or chili.
- 1 teaspoon safflower or canola oil
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose gluten-free baking mix
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs plus 1 large egg yolk
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 3 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 4 ounces goat cheese
- Milk or cream, optional
- 2 teaspoons seeded finely chopped jalapeño pepper
- Cracked black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Brush a medium (9-inch) ovenproof skillet with oil and set aside.
- Whisk together cornmeal, baking mix, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
- Whisk together buttermilk, eggs, egg yolk, melted butter and honey in a medium bowl.
- Pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients and whisk just to combine. Pour batter into the skillet.
- Bake until puffed and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Cool at least 20 minutes before serving.
- Meanwhile, whip goat cheese with a handheld mixer or in a food processor until smooth and fluffy, adding a few teaspoons milk or cream if necessary. Sprinkle with jalapeño and cracked pepper. Serve goat cheese mixture alongside cornbread as a spread or on top.