Potato tots are one of those beloved foods that’s loved by just about everyone. These gluten free tater tots, although pan fried, are still a better choice than store-bought ones. You can completely control the ingredients you use. For these, that means minimal ingredients with real potatoes being the bulk of the recipe.
Not only are these a great side dish for dinner, they’re great for that half time snack during the big game. If you’re trying to make more of an effort to skip the drive-thru and bring your lunch to work, you can have these and still have your beloved potatoes. And I must admit, these are way tastier than fries!
- 1 1/2 pounds white potatoes
- 2 tsp fine sea salt
- cold water
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 1/4 C chicken broth
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 Cup gluten free all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup gluten free breadcrumbs
- oil for frying
- Peel and cut the potatoes into 1 1/2-2 inch pieces. Add them to a medium sized pot and add enough water to cover the potatoes by 2 inches and add the2 teaspoons salt. Bring the potatoes to a boil and then boil for 12-15 minutes (until fork tender).
- When the potatoes are cooked, drain the water and return them to the pan. Add the butter and chicken broth and mash the potatoes, leaving them slightly lumpy to give the potato tots better texture. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate the mashed potatoes overnight.
- When the potatoes are chilled, add them to a medium sized bowl with the eggs, flour, and garlic powder. Mix until completely combined.
- Use a tablespoon to scoop the potatoes and then roll into log shapes and then coat them in the breadcrumbs. Place the coated potato tots on a baking sheet are refrigerate while the oil is heating.
- In a large heavy bottom skillet, add enough oil to coat the bottom with 1 inch of oil. When the oil is hot (365 degrees), fry the potato tots about 2 minutes per side or until golden brown. Fry in batches so you don’t over-crowd the pan. When the potato tots are cooked, remove from the pan with a slotted spoon (or spider spoon) and drain on a paper towel lined plate. Season with salt immediately. Serve the potato tots hot with desired condiments.
Leave a Reply