Grasshopper Pie is a creamy peppermint pie that’s no-bake, egg-free and dairy-free! With a grain-free Oreo-like crust and fresh whipped topping, you’ll love this Paleo, Keto, Vegan and Gluten-free treat — the real food version of an old favorite.
- 1-½ cups blanched almond flour
- ¼ cup butter melted and cooled slightly
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ¼ cup powdered sweetener for Keto: powdered allulose, erythritol or xylitol; for Paleo: powdered coconut sugar
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Don’t skip this step, for the best flavor! Place almond flour in medium-large size dry skillet. Toast over medium heat for about 4 minutes, until golden brown and toasted.
- Transfer to mixing bowl. Add remaining dry ingredients: cocoa powder, sweetener, and sea salt. Stir to mix.
- Using a fork or handheld beaters, add butter and combine thoroughly.
- Press into 9″ pie plate. Chill in the refrigerator before filling.
Note- Chocolate “Oreo” Pie Crust keeps well in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- 1 cup coconut cream (This is the solid cream in the top half of a full-fat coconut milk can. One can doesn’t have quite enough for 1 cup, so you’ll probably need 2 cans. Use the leftover watery milk in smoothies, curries, soups etc.)
- ½ cup coconut butter , freshly made and soft OR soften it (set the jar in hot water and then stir until it mostly liquifies)
- ¼ cup maple syrup or honey for Paleo; OR for Keto: liquid allulose or other preferred liquid low carb sweetener
- ¼ cup cocoa butter melted (do not let any water touch it)
- ⅛ to ¼ cup collagen peptides optional (omit for Vegan)
- ¾ teaspoon peppermint extract
- ¼ teaspoon spirulina (try Hawaiian Spirulina Powder from Nutrex)
- Place the following ingredients into high powered blender: coconut cream, coconut butter, sweetener, optional collagen and peppermint extract.
- Blend till smooth and creamy. With motor running, add melted cocoa butter, pouring through the door in the lid. Finally add spirulina until mixed in. (Color will intensify as it sits.)
- Pour into prepared pie crust. Set in freezer for 1 hour; then transfer to fridge for 2 to 3 hours, until set through to the middle.
- Garnish with whipped cream and Pie Crust crumbs. (Store any leftover pie in the fridge, covered.)