Regular mashed potatoes just got a green upgrade- here is the Irish way to serve mashed potatoes with a little green flair for some fun.
- 2 lbs potatoes, peeled (about 8 Yukon Gold or 4 russet)
- ¾ cup water (cooking water)
- ¾ cup unsweetened, non-dairy milk (optional)
- 1 teaspoon garlic granules
- 1 teaspoon onion granules
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves
- ½ cup loosely packed fresh mint leaves
- ¼ teaspoon no-salt seasoning
- In a large pot with the lid on, bring water to a boil. While water heats, chop the potatoes Add them to boiling water and boil uncovered for about 15 minutes, or until potatoes are cooked all the way through.
- Once the potatoes can be split easily with a fork, strain out the water, saving ¾ cup to use in the next step.
- In a blender, combine the saved cook water, non-dairy milk, nutritional yeast, garlic and onion granules, black pepper, basil, and mint. Pulse a few times, stopping before the herbs are completely blended. The liquid should be light green with darker green specks of herbs.
- Either in the pot used to cook the potatoes or a large mixing bowl, add the potatoes and blended liquid. Use a potato masher or a handheld mixer to mash and mix the potatoes.
- Serve warm. Garnish with extra black pepper and nutritional yeast. Top individual servings with no-salt seasoning.
Leave a Reply