Four large portabella mushroom caps would work well instead of eggplant in this recipe. Either way, it is a light, flavorful, vegetarian, summer meal.
This recipe is: Corn-Free, Egg-Free, Gluten-Free, Nut-Free, Rice-Free, Soy-Free, Vegetarian
Yields: 4 servings
Total Time: 25 mins
Prep Time: 10 mins
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 eggplants, medium sized, slice in half lengthwise
- 1 cup ricotta
- ¼ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup roasted red pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, thinly sliced, divided
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon lemon zest
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon salt, more to taste
- Preheat grill to medium heat. In a small bowl combine olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Cut the rounded side of the eggplant into slices so they will lay flat on the grill. Brush all cut sides of eggplant slices with the balsamic mixture.
- Place eggplant directly on grill over medium heat. Cook 10 to 12 minutes, flipping once, until eggplant begins to soften but before it looses shape.
- While eggplant is cooking, in a mixing bowl make the ricotta spread by combining ricotta, Parmesan cheese, roasted red pepper, basil, olive oil, lemon juice, zest, onion powder, pepper, red pepper flakes and salt.
- When eggplant is cooked, remove from grill and spread ¼ cup of ricotta mix over each slice of eggplant. Garnish with additional basil before serving.
Leave a Reply