Flank steak is delicious when it’s marinated in Cuban flavors and grilled, and this tasty Grilled Cuban Flank Steak is a perfect idea for a low-carb meal.
1 large piece of flank steak (this recipe makes enough marinade for 3 pounds of meat)
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 T soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp. ground chipotle chile powder (or use your favorite hot sauce)
- 2 tsp. lime zest (optional)
- Combine marinade ingredients. Put flank steak into a ziploc bag and pour marinade in, seal bag, and marinate all day in refrigerator. (You can marinate up to 24 hours if desired.)
- Take meat out of refrigerator and let it come to room temperature before grilling.
- Oil the grill with a paper towel dipped in olive oil, then preheat gas or charcoal barbecue grill to medium-high (you can only keep your hand there for a few seconds.)
- Grill meat to desired doneness, approximately 4-5 minutes per side for rare to medium rare or 6 minutes for medium. I wouldn’t cook flank steak more than medium or it will be tough.
- Cooking time will depend on the thickness of your flank steak, the best way to judge the doneness is to use a meat thermometer, cooking to 140-145 for medium rare or 155-160 for medium.
- Remove meat from grill and let rest about 5 minutes. (You can cover with foil to keep it warm if needed.)
- Slice across the grain and serve hot, with slices of fresh lime to squeeze on the meat.