Add flavor to your meal with this herby side dish! Plantains are naturally gluten-free and they serve as a foundation for this delicious summer recipe.
Total Time: 30 mins
Prep Time: 10 mins
- Oil for frying
- 4 green plantains, peeled and cut into 1-inch thick slices
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves
- ¼ cup fresh parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano leaves
- 6 bacon strips, cooked
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- In a large sauté pan, heat approximately 1 inch of oil over medium-high heat. Add the pieces of sliced plantains and fry until golden, about 2 to 3 minutes per side. Place plantains on paper towel to remove excess oil and set aside.
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine cilantro, parsley, oregano, bacon, garlic, olive oil and salt. Process until well combined and crushed into tiny bits.
- Place 1½ cups fried plantain slices and 1 tablespoon herby bacon mixture in a mortar and crush using a pestle until combined thoroughly. Shape to your liking using the mortar bowl. Repeat the process 3 more times and serve immediately