Tostadas are basically an open-faced taco on a crunchy shell. Tostadas are traditionally topped with beans, meat, and veggies, but they can oh-so-easily be made vegan! Of course, you can simply swap in vegan ground meat, but today we’re doing something extra-special.
- Refried Beans
- 2 teaspoons of coconut oil
- ¼ cup of yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon of jalapeño, finely chopped (seeds discarded unless you want heat)
- ¾ teaspoon of cumin
- ½ teaspoon of chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- pinch of pepper
- 1 19oz can or 1 ¾ cups pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons of water
- 2 tablespoons of fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon of lime juice
- 1 14oz can of jackfruit in brine
- ⅓ cup of bbq sauce, or to taste
- Toppings can include: chopped tomatoes, avocado, corn, shredded lettuce, salsa, guacamole, pico de gallo, vegan sour cream, red onions, vegan cheese, jalapenos, cilantro, etc…
- 6 corn or flour tortillas
- Begin by making the refried beans. Heat a large pan. Add the coconut oil, onion, garlic, and jalapeño to the pan and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper and sauté for another 3 minutes.
- Place the beans in a shallow bowl and mash them with a potato masher. Mash them until they are mostly broken down, but leave some texture.
- Add the beans to the pan along with the water, cilantro, and lime juice. Cook for another 5 minutes on medium/low heat. Set aside and keep warm.
- Heat a medium pan. Shred the jackfruit by hand and remove any firm cores. Add the jackfruit to the pan and heat it for 5 minutes. Add the bbq sauce and cook for another 5 minutes. Taste and add more bbq sauce if needed. Set aside and keep warm.
- Prepare any toppings that you will be adding to the tostadas.
- Just before serving, set your oven to 350 degrees F. Place the tortillas flat directly on the oven rack. Bake for just a couple of minutes, until they are firm (but not too hard). Watch that they don’t burn!
- Assemble the tostadas by adding the refried beans, jackfruit, and any toppings you desire. Enjoy!
Leave a Reply