This tangy and sweet dessert will be a crowd pleaser.
Total Time: 2 hours 40 mins
Prep Time: 40 mins
For the Crust
- 1 1/3 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 5 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 4 egg yolks
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the Lemon Curd
- 6 fluid ounces lemon juice, strained
- Zest of 4 lemons
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 8 egg yolks (reserve 4 egg whites for meringue topping)
- 2 cups fresh blueberries, for topping
- Powdered sugar, for garnish
- In the bowl of a standing mixer, combine gluten-free all-purpose flour, sugar and baking powder. Beat until well combined. Add in the butter, egg yolks, lemon zest and salt and mix until a smooth dough forms. Refrigerate the dough for at least 30 minutes before using.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9-inch tart pan with nonstick spray and set aside.
- Roll the dough out to approximately 10 inches and carefully press the dough into the pan, cutting off any protruding edges. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes until golden brown. Cool completely before arranging filling on top.
- To make the lemon curd, in a medium-sized saucepot, combine lemon juice, lemon zest, sugar and butter and bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking frequently.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg yolks. Beat approximately a ¼ cup of the boiling liquid into the egg yolks to temper them and then whisk tempered mixture into remaining lemon juice mixture over low heat, whisking vigorously. Continue whisking until the mixture thickens slightly, about 2 minutes. Do not let this mixture boil.
- Pour the lemon curd over the cooled tart crust and let cool completely.
- Arrange the blueberries over the top of the lemon curd and chill for 2 hours before serving. Garnish with powdered sugar before serving.