Gorgeous lemon blueberry zucchini cake bursting with juicy blueberries and topped with a luscious lemon buttercream frosting. This easy, gluten free blueberry zucchini cake is made with a mix of oat and almond flour and naturally sweetened with honey. A delicious snacking cake perfect for using summer produce!
- 1 cup shredded zucchini (from 1 medium zucchini)
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup honey
- zest from 2 lemons
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 ½ cup packed blanched fine almond flour
- ¾ cup gluten free oat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the blueberries:
- 1 heaping cup fresh blueberries
- 2 tablespoons gluten free oat flour
- For the lemon frosting:
- ½ cup butter (or sub vegan buttery stick), at room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- To garnish:
- Extra blueberries for sprinkling on top
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8×8 inch square pan with parchment paper and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- First, measure out 1 cup of shredded zucchini, then place shredded zucchini in a paper towel or cheese cloth and squeeze out all of the moisture/water. This is very important!
- Add shredded zucchini, eggs, honey, lemon zest, lemon juice and almond extract to a large bowl and whisk together until well combined.
- Next, add dry ingredients: almond flour, oat flour, baking soda and salt. Mix together with a wooden spoon until well combined.
- In a separate medium bowl, toss blueberries together with 2 tablespoons of oat flour. (This is to prevent the blueberries from sinking to the bottom of the cake while baking.) Fold coated blueberries into the batter.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a tester comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool completely on a wire rack before frosting. I know this is difficult but it’s critical (otherwise the frosting will melt and become a gooey mess!)
- Make the frosting: beat together butter, powdered sugar, lemon juice and lemon zest together on high with a hand mixer or in the bowl of an electric mixer until smooth. Spread frosting over cooled cake. Garnish with a few blueberries. Cut into 9 slices and enjoy!