Classic comfort food with a healthy vegan twist. Packed with flavorful lentil mushroom filling hidden under a layer of creamy pureed potatoes. Rich, cozy and satisfying, perfect for those chilly evenings.
Lentil mushroom layer:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 1 cup brown mushrooms, diced
- 2 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp brown sugar
- 2 cups brown or green lentils, canned or cooked
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- ¼ cup veggie stock
- 1 3/4 lbs potatoes, peeled and cut
- 3 tbsp plant milk
- 2 tbsp olive oil or vegan butter
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
For serving: freshly chopped parsley
- Boil the potatoes for 12-15 minutes or until fork tender. Drain, add plant milk, olive oil or vegan butter, nutmeg, salt and pepper and using a hand (immersion) blender or a potato masher, puree until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large deep skillet. Add onions, garlic, carrots and celery. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add mushrooms, tamari or soy sauce, brown sugar and chili. Cook for 8-10 minutes or until all liquid released by mushrooms evaporates.
- Add lentils, tomato paste and veggie stock. Stir well, bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes or until all excess liquid evaporates.
- Preheat oven to 200C. Transfer lentil mushroom filling to a baking dish (8×8 inch or comparable). Top with mashed potatoes, gently spread the puree with a spoon.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then broil for 5 minutes or until you have a golden brown crust on top.
- Decorate with freshly chopped parsley and enjoy!
Recipe provided by: Fresh n’ Lean – the nation’s #1 organic meal delivery company