Could you imagine an Easter basket without these little treasures? Make your own this Easter!
Total Time: 3 hours
Prep Time: 10 mins
For the pastel sugars
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 pastel candy colors
For the marshmallows
- 2 envelopes Knox Original Unflavored Gelatine
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup light corn syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- Turn plain old sugar into fun pastel sugars! Divide the granulated sugar evenly into 3 plastic zipper bags, about ⅔ cup per bag. Add 5 drops of food coloring to each bag and massage until the sugar has absorbed the color. This may take you a little bit, but have fun with it! Once you have beautifully colored sugars, transfer to three separate bowls, respectively.
- Time to get started on the marshmallows! Grease a 9×13-inch pan with nonstick spray and set aside. In the bowl of a stand mixer, pour ⅓ cup cold water and sprinkle with gelatine powder. Let it sit until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Let’s make syrup and marshmallow fluff! Combine the granulated sugar, light corn syrup and ⅓ cup water in a small saucepan. Bring to a rolling boil and stir until the sugar has dissolved completely. Insert a candy thermometer and continue to boil until the temperature reaches 250 degrees F. Begin to beat the gelatine mixture with a wire whip in a low setting, gradually pouring the syrup while still boiling. Increase the speed setting to medium and continue to mix for an additional 5 minutes. Add the vanilla extract and increase the speed once again to a high setting. Beat for another 5 minutes until fluffy and glossy.
- The wait for something sweet! Pour the marshmallow fluff into the greased pan and smooth into an even layer with a lightly greased spatula. Let stand for 1 hour uncovered until firm and grease some cookie cutters. Carefully press the cookie cutters into the marshmallow and cut out fun shapes, placing them on parchment paper to prevent sticking. Fill a small bowl with water and get the pastel sugars ready. Dip each shaped marshmallow into the bowl of water and immediately dip into the colored sugar of your choice (feel free to mix and match for unique creations), pressing on the sugar and coating the entire marshmallow. Return to the parchment paper and let sit until dry, about 1 more hour.
- Get creative and decorate away! Now that your marshmallow creations are ready, mix 1 tablespoon cocoa powder and 1 tablespoon cold water (plus more if needed) in a small bowl until thick and smooth. Use a toothpick to draw on the eyes for your Peeps, adding any other detail that you feel inspired! Voila! You have now created your very own gluten-free Peeps from the comfort of your kitchen. For best results, store Peeps in an airtight container and enjoy for up to 3 days.