These Easy Potato Pancakes use leftover mashed potatoes and shredded cheese to make a simple, gluten free dish. This recipe uses no flour, rather eggs and cassava as a binder.
- 2 cups cold mashed potatoes
- 2 eggs smaller in size
- 1 c shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tbsp cassava flour
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 4 tbsp avocado oil divided
- Put a large cast-iron skillet over medium heat on the stove. Pour 2 tbsp avocado oil in it to warm up.
- Place the ingredients (except for the avocado oil) in a large bowl and mix together with a large spoon or other utensil.
- Take a large scoop (about 1.5 tbsp) of the potato mixture and place it in the skillet. Do this three more times, spacing the dollops of potato equally apart from each other. With a spatula, flatten each pile until it’s about 1/4 inch thick. You may need to use a knife to scrape the spatula from the top of the potato mixture.
- Let the potato pancakes cook for 5 minutes, then flip with the spatula and cook for 4 to 5 minutes more, until the sides are golden brown.
- Remove the pancakes and set them on a paper towel lined plate to get rid of any excess oil, then place one more tbsp of avocado oil in the skillet. Repeat the process of cooking 4 potato pancakes at a time, placing a tbsp of oil in the skillet between each round of cooking.
Serve warm, with sour cream or another topping if desired.