Probiotic-Rich Fermented Salsa has many health benefits, tastes amazing, and is a great way to preserve your garden harvest. Our Probiotic-Rich Fermented Salsa has a classic salsa taste with the fermentation benefits and support a healthy gut. Try this recipe today!
- 2.5 cups chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 small onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 green bell pepper or pepper/s of choice (I used 2 varieties of mild peppers in the video)
- 4 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 3 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 lime
- 2 tsp salt
- Chop all vegetables and herbs and place in a large bowl.
- Mince garlic and add to the vegetables. This will result in about 3 cups of mixed vegetables.
- Squeeze the juice of one lime onto the vegetables.
- Add 2 tsp of sea salt.
- Allow the salt and vegetable mixture to sit for about 5 minutes.
- Fill the glass jar with the chopped vegetables. Leaving ½ inch of headspace at the top.
- Press the vegetables gently down into the jar until everything is submerged under the brine.
- Add a fermentation weight (heavy rocks in a zip lock bag or cabbage leaves layered on top to keep veggies submerged in the brine)
- Cover the jar with the mason jar lid.
- Label the jar with the processing date.
- Allow the vegetables to ferment at room temperature (about 70 degrees) for around 2-3 days or to taste.
- Be sure to take the lid off once a day to release any carbon dioxide pressure that has built up in the jar.
- Refrigerate when fermentation is complete.