Quinoa replaces bulgar nicely in this salad working well with the bright, tart flavors of lemon and the earthy green of the parsley. This dish is for garlic lovers and is refreshing on a warm summer day with its lively flavors pairing well with grilled vegetables, fish and chicken.
Yields: 6 servings
Total Time: 35 mins
Prep Time: 15 mins
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 4 teaspoons garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 cup tomato, roughly chopped
- 1 cup cucumber, seeded, roughly chopped
- ½ cup parsley, tightly packed, finely chopped
- ¼ cup red onion, diced
- ½ cup black olives, rinsed, roughly chopped
- 1 cup chickpeas, rinsed & drained
- ½ cup crumbled feta
- Soak quinoa in a bowl of cool water for five minutes. Drain in a fine mesh colander.
- In a pot, heat 1 teaspoon olive oil over medium-high heat. Add quinoa and toast for approximately three minutes.
- Add 1 ¼ cup of cool water to the pot, bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and cook for 15 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed. Remove quinoa from heat and let sit for 5 minutes, then fluff with a fork. Cool to room temperature.
- In a mixing bowl, combine ¼ cup olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt, and cumin. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine tomato, cucumber, parsley, red onion, black olives, and chickpeas.
- Stir in the cooled quinoa and then pour olive oil mixture over ingredients while stirring.
- Place in serving dish or storage container and refrigerate for at least one hour, or overnight, before serving. Top the salad with feta just before serving.