This method of baking creates a very moist cake. When opening the oven be careful to let it vent before you put your face or hands near the cakes since the water will create steam. These are good enough to eat plain but topping with a little lemon curd and fresh whipped cream make this a truly decedent summer dessert.
Total Time: 1 hour
Prep Time: 20 mins
- 1½ cups gluten-free, all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ cup whole milk
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 2 cups fresh raspberries
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 6 (8-ounce) oven-safe ramekins and place into a high-sided roasting pan that will hold enough water to fill half way up the ramekins. Set aside.
- Sift together the gluten-free all-purpose flour, baking powder and salt into a medium-sized mixing bowl. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer using the paddle attachment, beat the eggs on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add in the sugar, milk, butter, vanilla extract and lemon zest and mix until well combined.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, mixing well after each addition. Carefully fold the raspberries into the batter.
- Divide the batter evenly amongst the prepared ramekins and cover roasting pan with foil.
- Fill the baking pan with very hot water half way up the ramekins. Place in the oven and bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and serve warm or let cool to room temperature.