Keep your dinners on the healthier side with salads full of earthy root veggies and cold-weather produces that satisfies the belly. These delicious seasonal salads will make you crave for them all year long. Bring the fall harvest to your table.
Total Time: 1 hour
Prep Time: 10 mins
- 1 (4-4.5) pound chicken, neck and innards removed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 sprigs of rosemary
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium sized head of frisee lettuce, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 4 ounces crumbled aged Gouda
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees F. While oven is preheating, prepare chicken by rubbing it with olive oil. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper and stuff rosemary sprigs into the chicken’s cavity.
- Place chicken in a large roasting pan and roast at 475 degrees F for 20 minutes.
- Reduce oven heat to 425 degrees F and continue cooking for an additional 40 minutes or until internal temperature of breast registers at 165 degrees F and juices from thigh run clear.
- To make the vinaigrette, combine cranberries, apple cider vinegar and maple syrup in a medium saucepan and heat over medium-high heat until it comes to a boil. Boil until the cranberries are tender and begin to pop, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Carefully transfer cranberry mixture to a food processor or blender and puree until smooth. Add Dijon mustard, orange zest and orange juice to mixture and blend until combined. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- With blender or processor running, slowly add olive oil and blend until thick and olive is thoroughly combined. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Assemble salad with frisee, chicken, sunflower seeds and crumbled Gouda. Top with vinaigrette.