The combination of the toasty flavors from the nuts, seeds and oil, with the sweetness of the oranges and the earthy, green bite of the kale is my new favorite salad. Be careful not to start picking at this salad or you may have nothing left to serve.
Total Time: 30 mins
Prep Time: 30 mins
- ½ cup slivered almonds
- 2 large naval oranges
- 4 cups kale, stems removed, chopped
- ½ cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 teaspoons dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- ¾ teaspoon gluten-free, low-sodium soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon garlic, finely minced
- ¼ teaspoon coarse salt
- Place the almonds in a small skillet over medium heat. Once the pan is to temperature, toast for 3 minutes, stir the almonds, then turn off heat.
- Peel rind from oranges, pull oranges into sections, cut into 1-inch pieces and place in a large bowl, scraping the orange juice on the cutting board into the bowl.
- Add the kale, red onion and toasted almonds to the bowl and toss to coat.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the sesame oil, rice vinegar, water, brown sugar, toasted sesame seeds, soy sauce, garlic and salt. Pour the dressing over the kale mixture and toss to coat.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator. Chill at least 1 hour prior to serving.