If you use wooden skewers, submerge under water for 30 minutes prior to using to ensure they do not catch fire on the grill. Also, be careful not to leave shrimp in the marinade too long or the acid in the lime juice will ?cook? the shrimp before it has a chance to be grilled. These skewers are good when you are looking for something simple, fresh and fast for dinner.
Yields: 4 servings
Total Time:?25 mins
Prep Time:?15 mins
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh basil, minced
- ? teaspoon honey
- ? teaspoon gluten-free soy sauce
- ? teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 pound of shrimp, 16 to 20 count, peeled and deveined
- 2 cups of cantaloupe, peach or mango, peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoons lime juice, freshly squeezed
- Preheat grill over medium heat. In a small bowl or measuring cup, combine olive oil, basil, honey, soy sauce and red pepper flakes. Whisk until honey dissolves.
- Place shrimp and fruit in a shallow dish. Pour marinade over and toss to coat. Let sit 5 minutes, no longer.
- For each skewer, begin and end with a piece of fruit, shrimp in between. Three to four shrimp per skewer.
- Place skewers directly on grill over medium heat. Cook 4 to 6 minutes, turning once, until shrimp is pink and firm. Remove from grill and serve.