Since spinach dip really does get better if it sits in the refrigerator for at least an hour, and even better at least a day, this is a great make-ahead option. The longer you let it sit, the better the crusty bread it’s sitting in will taste, too. Happy D.I.Y. Friday!
Homemade Onion “Soup Mix”
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon (9 g) cornstarch (or arrowroot powder)
- 1 tablespoon (12 g) sugar
- 16 ounces chopped frozen spinach
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and minced (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and shredded (about 3/4 cup)
- 1/3 cup (75 g) mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 cups (336 g) sour cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons gluten free Worcestershire sauce
- Homemade Onion “Soup Mix”
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 ounces Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, finely grated
- 2 stalks celery heart, chopped fine (about 3/4 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced very fine
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- In a small bowl, combine all of the ingredients for the homemade onion “soup mix,” and whisk to combine. Set the bowl aside. Cook the spinach according to the package directions. Place the thawed spinach in a tea towel and squeeze it until as much of the moisture as possible has been removed. Set the spinach aside.
- In a small, heavy-bottom saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat until it ripples slightly. Add the minced onion and carrots, and cook, stirring frequently, until the onion is translucent and lightly browned (about 5 minutes). Remove the mixture from the heat and set it aside to cool briefly.
- In a large bowl, place the mayonnaise, sour cream and Worcestershire sauce, “soup mix” and black pepper, and whisk to combine well. Add the Parmigiano-Reggiano, celery, spinach, onion and carrot mixture, and mix to combine. Place the garlic and salt on a flat surface, like a cutting board, and press into a paste with the flat side of a large knife (like a chef’s knife). Add the garlic paste to the dip, and mix to combine. Cover the bowl and place in the refrigerator to chill for at least an hour, and up to 3 days. Serve in a bread bowl with chips or celery for dipping.
Leave a Reply