Making the Best Baked Beans is easy when you use store-bought beans as the base, and then jazz them up to customize them.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/4 green pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 14-ounce (398 ml) cans gluten free baked beans (I used Bush’s Best Vegetarian Beans
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup your favourite gluten free barbecue sauce
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- (optional: 4 slices bacon, fried & chopped)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Saute the onions and green peppers until tender.
- Add the beans (don’t drain them), brown sugar, barbecue sauce, apple cider vinegar, mustard, and paprika. If using – stir in the fried bacon. Stir to combine.
- Pour the beans into a baking dish, making sure to leave some room so that the beans will not boil over.
- Cover with foil and bake in preheated oven for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. You could also heat them in the slow cooker for 2-3 hours on high.
- Serve hot or cold.