Fill your autumn days with a pot of hearty soup simmering on the stove. These flavor packed gluten-free recipes will warm the body on a chilly evening. Get your ladles ready – your family will want seconds.
Total Time: 1 hour
Prep Time: 15 mins
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups yellow onion (about 2 medium onions), thinly sliced
- 1 cup white onion (about 2 small onions), thinly sliced
- 1 cup red onion (about ½ large onion), thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 quart pork or beef stock
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon fresh rosemary, minced
- ½ cup dry red wine
- 1 cup gruyere cheese, grated and divided amongst each serving
- Heat olive oil and butter together in a large pot over medium heat until hot. Add onions and cook covered for 15 minutes or until onions are soft.
- Reduce heat to low. Add salt and sugar to onions and cook, uncovered, for 30 to 40 minutes until browned and caramelized.
- In a separate medium sized pot, bring stock to a boil.
- Turn heat up to a medium on the pot with the onions and sprinkle cornstarch evenly over onion mixture and stir to coat. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes until cornstarch is no longer visible.
- Add rosemary and wine and let cook for another 2 to 3 minutes until wine has reduced slightly.
- Add boiling stock to pot and cook, partially covered, for another 30 to 40 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper. Pour soup into individual oven-proof serving vessels and grate Gruyere cheese over the top.
- Turn on oven broiler. Place serving vessels on a large baking sheet and place in oven. Broil until cheese is melted and bubbling. Carefully remove from oven and serve.