Latkes are a labor of love, but they are worth it. These latkes came to be out of necessity; I didn’t have potatoes and thought a turnip and a few other ingredients might do the trick. It did. These savory latkes are a delicious side for roast chicken or pork.
Total Time: 15 mins
Prep Time: 5 mins
- 2 cups cold water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 cups Gala apple, unpeeled and shredded (about 2 medium apples)
- 2 cups turnip, peeled and shredded (about 2 medium turnips)
- 1 egg, large, lightly beaten
- ¼ cup yellow onion, minced
- ¼ teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves or ½ teaspoon dried
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F, foil line a baking sheet and place inside the oven.
- In a large bowl, combine water and lemon juice. Peel turnips and thinly grate. Leave skin on apples and grate. Place both in lemon water mix and let soak 5 minutes.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine egg through black pepper.
- Place a kitchen towel on counter. Remove turnip and apple mix with hands, squeeze well over bowl, then spread evenly across towel. Roll towel tightly end-to-end, pushing down as you roll.
- Open towel slowly and place turnip and apples into egg mixture, combine well using hands and form into 8 patties, which will yield 2 patties per person.
- In a large heavy bottom skillet heat olive oil over medium heat. Cook latkes in batches, place in pan and cook 2 minutes per side, or golden brown. Remove with spatula and place on a paper towel to drain for one minute. Place in oven on baking sheet to keep warm.
- Repeat above steps for the remaining latkes. Serve with sour cream or applesauce.