As a side or a topping, this salad complements dishes with spice, smokiness or both. The juice of the watermelon is cooling and the creamy avocado sooths any fiery bite.
Yields: 4 servings
Total Time: 15 mins
Prep Time: 10 mins
- ¼ cup lime juice, freshly squeezed
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon honey
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups watermelon, rind removed, chopped
- 1 cup jicama, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup avocado, seed removed, peeled and chopped
- ½ cup red bell pepper, diced
- ¼ cup red onion, diced
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoon cilantro, tightly packed, diced, divided
- In a bowl or measuring cup, combine lime juice, olive oil, chipotle peppers, garlic, honey and salt and whisk until honey dissolves.
- In a large bowl, place watermelon, jicama, avocado, red bell pepper, red onion and ¼ cup cilantro. Toss ingredients gently using hands.
- Pour lime juice mixture over salad. Again, toss gently with hands.
- Place in serving dish or storage container and refrigerate for one to two hours prior to serving. Serve and eat day made. Prior to serving, sprinkle 2 tablespoons of chopped cilantro over the salad.