We love this non-traditional chili made with tomatillos, green chiles and white beans. The optional toppings add fresh color and bright flavor.
- 1 1/2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 pounds ground turkey breast
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (28.0-ounce) can tomatillos, drained and chopped
- 1 (4.0-ounce) can diced green chiles, drained
- 1 small jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely sliced
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups cooked Great Northern beans, drained
- Chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish (optional)
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon of the oil in a large pot over medium high heat.
- Add turkey and cook, stirring often, until browned.
- Transfer to a bowl and return pot to heat.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil, bell pepper and onion and cook until softened and golden brown.
- Return turkey to pot and add coriander, cumin, oregano and salt. Stir well to combine.
- Add bay leaf, tomatillos, chiles, jalapeño and broth, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 45 to 50 minutes.
- Gently stir in beans and cook for 30 minutes more.
- Stir in cilantro, ladle chili into bowls and garnish with cheese and sour cream, if you like.